Tuesday, November 19, 2013

CIS664 Week 12 - Learning Journal

In this class, we covered the major topics of project management and how they apply to a global work environment. Project management fundamentals still apply; the global nature doesn't change that. Project managers need to communicate, demonstrate leadership, get the team working together and get the job done. They need to coach, resolve conflict, and establish trust with their stakeholders. They also need to run meetings, enhance and foster team communication, and spark creativity. All of these are basic project management principles. Does it make things a bit more challenging when your team is located somewhere else in the world? Sure it does, but sticking to the tried and true principles will serve you well.

The most rewarding thing I learned in this class was an appreciation of culture as it applies to doing business in a global environment. There are so many factors and nuances to consider that I hadn't thought about before. I am located in the U.S. and have not traveled abroad for work at all and while I had a general understanding of how different cultures can effect how you work together, I did not have a sense of the full depth.

The group project was the most challenging aspect of the course. it was a little more difficult than I expected to get everyone on the same page and get some momentum going. I was not able to attend another group's meeting due to scheduling issues and while the class was relatively small, it represented all different areas of the globe. This certainly made it challenging!

Good luck to my classmates with all your future endeavors and I hope to meet up again soon!

Bruce Thivierge

No comments:

Post a Comment